Thursday, November 8, 2012

Introduction

This blog was created to host the series of articles about Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) and Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) in veterans.  Articles will be posted as they are published weekly in The Claude News.

The articles are written by Claude News publisher and editor, Jessica Montgomery.  She is the wife of a former combat medic who served two tours in Iraq.  He is a disabled veteran diagnosed with PTSD and TBI.

It was the intent of this series to start the conversation in the community about what some veterans and their families are going through when they return home from war.  It is meant to educate, bust stereotypes, list resources, and inspire others to give back to those who sacrificed so much for our country.

If you have any questions, feel free to comment on the blog.  We will try to answer them all to the best of our knowledge, and may even include them in future articles.

I would also like to take this opportunity to thank the many supportive people that God has placed in my life along the way.  Those who inspired me, those who encouraged me, and those who believed in me.  The list is endless, but I'll start with these wonderful folks:

First of all, to my husband- who never gave up on me when I felt like giving up on myself.  You are the bravest and most passionate person I have ever known.  I love you forever and always. 

Karie Fugett- who was brave enough to share her journey with complete strangers online.  Her story is what made me reach out and begin my own journey.

Cheryl Gansner and the team at Operation Homefront- who welcomed me into their group and taught me more about loving my wounded warrior than anyone else.

Marshele Waddell and the team at Hope for the Homefront- who gave me the spiritual tools and encouragement I had long been searching for.

All of my Wounded Warrior Wives/Hearts of Valor retreat sisters, especially my roommates Alma Hall, Karen Sears, and Virginia Peacock.  Through the laughter and the tears, you have all inspired me more than you will ever know.  Thank you for making me realize that I am not alone.

Marilyn Lash and Lash & Associates Publishing, Inc.- for working so hard to educate and provide valuable resources for PTSD and TBI.

The Family of a Vet team- Thank you for all of your hard work and dedication to reach out to families with PTSD.  Your resources have been a life-line.

Torrey Shannon- whose honesty and courage to speak out, LOUD AND PROUD, inspires me to keep fighting, despite what people think.

I apologize if I have left anyone out.  I will come back and add to the list if I remember someone.  :) 

Thank you for taking the time to join me on this journey, and God bless our troops.



No comments:

Post a Comment